Wednesday, May 28, 2014

True Adjunct Tales

Friends,

My brother, who is my mother's favorite child, told me about these videos on You Tube quite some time back.  I'm just now getting around to watching them.  For those who slave away in the nether regions of academia with little pay, no perks, no health insurance, and no chance of full time employment, these are the videos for you.  The blog is called True Adjunct Tales.  You can find it here.  Or you may prefer to watch the videos on You Tube.  Anyone who has been working as an adjunct for more than about a year can identify with most of the scenarios presented therein.  I know I can.  For the sake of not losing my job, I cannot describe some of the things that I've experienced in detail, but let's just say that I know what it is like to bust my a$$ every single day for a college that doesn't give me near the loyalty that I give them.  I pour my blood, sweat, and tears into what I do and it is frustrating when your employer doesn't care.  It makes no difference how good a teacher I am.  Sure, I could go in and half a$$ it in the classroom and just collect a paycheck, but my sense of honor won't let me.  I don't work for the college.  I work for my students.  I owe them the best I can give.  I am reminded of what General Patton said, well, what George C. Scott said in the Patton movie, "I'd lead you wonderful guys into battle any time and any where."  That's how I feel about my "kids".  When you watch True Adjunct Tales, I think you will see why it is so frustrating because most of what is presented in these short videos is true.

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Half A$$ Historian.

No comments:

Post a Comment